Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused About Google's Index, Url Dampening, & No. of Links?
06-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Big Grin Confused About Google's Index, Url Dampening, & No. of Links?
I recently received still another 'please help' email from a man named Ian who runs an experience company in Tanzania (http://www.betheladventure.co.uk ). Ian was concerned with the result of a number of issues including indexing and url dampening, and was desperate for help. Unfortuitously, he had read some fairly misleading articles in the past, so he had a somewhat confused understanding of the factors at play. I decided to submit the details of our discussion, because I suppose he's perhaps not alone in his confusion and concern. To research more, consider taking a gander at: read.

Ian's email consisted of several questions. I've listed each individually below, followed closely by my response.

Q: When I look for the amount of backlinks to my site using 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', I see only 23 results. It seems that only 23 of our backlinks have survived Google's dampening link filter. Visiting principles likely provides suggestions you could use with your friend. Will there be a time delay before they are paid to some site? '

A: Firstly, I do believe you may have the dampening link filter somewhat puzzled. In line with the dampening link filter theory, your links are located and identified by Google, you simply do not have the full benefit from them until certain time period has passed. The dampening link filter (if it exists) doesn't end links from appearing in Google's benefits when you look for them. Be taught further on our related URL - Click this website: linklicious.me tutorial. (The only reason your backlinks mightn't appear in a Google search is if Google has not yet found the pages containing the links.) Also, do not worry too much about things like the dampening link filter. For a start, it is not even close to proven / accepted fact. Many well-regarded SEO authorities don't rely on it at all. More over, even though it does exist, it only affects those organizations with the budget to create the large numbers (hundreds or thousands possibly) of links reputedly needed to trigger it. If your variety of backlinks suddenly increases by 20, that's no issue.

And secondly, don't think everything Google lets you know. By searching for 'link:www.betheladventure.co.uk', you generally speaking only see a small percentage of real links to your site. The simplest way to search for links would be to search for only the URL 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk', then on-the page that displays next, select 'Find webpages that contain the word 'www.bethaladventure.co.uk' .' Whenever you do it in this manner, you'll see all the pages that contain your URL. In most cases, the URL is likely to be an active link (or at the very least it should be, and you should keep these things make it so). Whenever you try this research, you'll observe that your website has about 169 links, not 23.

Q: Yet another question is approximately found pages (using site:www.betheladventure.co.uk). I am aware it is a history of pages that have been changed. I'd 3-2, it went down to 28 and it is down to 26 now this morning. Do they only keep the pages for monthly or is there more to the listed pages than I realized?

A: The number of indexed pages is simply the number of pages on your own website that Google 'is aware of.' Theoretically, the only real time the age of a page comes into play is once the page is also young*, i.e. Google lions haven't visited it nevertheless, or Google hasn't updated its catalog. As to the reasons the reported number of indexed pages is reducing, I suppose it's merely a temporary shift. The number of leads to Google's searches varies virtually constantly.

*Actually, technically speaking, it's been suggested that Google is not capable of indexing all 11.5 billion pages currently thought to be online (and the 10 million more that are added everyday), and that as it indexes new pages, old pages are sent out from the list. (This is a very rough description of the idea - if it's happening at all, it's likely to be far more difficult than this.) If this is happening, it might explain why the number of indexed pages is reducing. A good way to handle it is to maintain top quality information, to generate a Google sitemap, to keep producing backlinks, and to keep increasing it, though I think it is a long-shot. To learn more about sitemaps, visit http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/login.. To down load a free - and very helpful - tool for building a sitemap, head to http://johannesmueller.com/gs/..

I know there is a lot of confusion surrounding these issues, so I hope you have found this exchange valuable.

Happy indexing!.